HDMI CEC - How to Troubleshoot a Faulty HDMI Connection
Here are some steps that may help correct HDMI connection problems so you can get back to watching or gaming.
- Check HDMI Cable Connections: Make sure the cable is tightly fitted at both ends. HDMI connections don't fit as tightly as a component or composite video connection and sometimes slip out. If this happens often, consider getting locks for your HDMI cables or self-locking cables.
- Try a Different HDMI Input: With your remote, switch to another input on the TV and then switch back to HDMI to see if the signal locks correctly. Failing that, plug your device into a different HDMI input and repeat the above steps.
- Reverse the Turn-on Sequence for Your Devices: If you tend to turn on your TV first followed by other devices, try turning on the secondary devices first, followed by the TV. If you have several different HDMI components, try starting them up in different order combinations.
- Check Your Source Device's Resolution Setting: If your HDMI device has a settings menu to control the video resolution, check to see if it is set to AUTO. If so, reset it to match the built-in resolution of your TV or video projector, such as 720p, 1080p, or 4K, if you have 4K-capable TV or video projector.
- Use Process of Elimination: If your device is connected to an audio receiver or other intermediary, remove the HDMI connection, and plug it directly into the TV. If that works, then the receiver or intermediary device you're using is likely the problem. Keep the HDMI source connected to your TV and make a separate audio connection from your device to the TV until you can determine the problem with the receiver.
- Check For Firmware Updates: Check online for firmware updates for your TV, HDMI device, or audio receiver. Also, look for user comments or complaints regarding HDMI handshake issues and follow discussions and links to the proposed solution.
If your TV does not provide a "CEC" option, check out this article about common names other TV manufacturers use for "CEC" - TV Manufacturer CEC Names