How to Draw/Cut a Circle without a Template
This is a good option when you don't have a speaker's cut out template. It will allow you to draw a circle to use as a cut out template.
The full circle method
- You can use a sheet of heavy-duty paper or do this right on the drywall if you can.
- Cut a piece of string about 4" - 5" longer than your radius. We used a 10" length of string for this cut below.
- Tie one end of the string to a short pencil.
- Place the point of the pencil toward the outer edge of the paper with enough room from the edge to make a full sweep.
- Measure from where the point of the pencil touches the paper backwards by the length of the radius (in this case 6½").
- Pin directly through string into the paper or drywall at that point.
- Keeping the string taut, draw a perfect circle using your homemade compass.
- If you used the paper, cut the paper and you now have a paper template. If you use the drywall, just cut out the drywall now.